Friday, March 23, 2012

The Peggy and Father Gill dress


Have you seen the awesome Mad Men inspired creations at The Sew Weekly?
I had a hard time with this one in terms of deciding what look to recreate. There is too much awesomeness in that show!
In the end I got inspired by this dress worn by Peggy in Season 2 when she meets Father Gill:


I used pattern 108 from Burdastyle Magazine 04/2011 with some alterations: I omitted the sleeves, drafted a rounded collar, added a bias cut placket, a horizontal pleat at the hem and some elastic to the waist.



 
The result is a cute dress that I think Peggy would wear today. It's not the easiest thing to wear for me, because you risk to look pregnant and a toddler at the same time. It definitely needs to be styled properly.
But I really like this dress, and I might make it again using a more easily wearable fabric (maybe a solid) with few tweaks.
You can read more about it in my post.

On other news, I decided at the last minute to participate to Tilly's One Week One Pattern. I made three Banksia (one dress and two tops) in the last two days, and I'm about to cut the fourth. So far so good!
Here's a sneak peek:


I'm curious: if you're participating as well, how do you plan to blog about it? A post every day or one collective post at the end of the week? I was thinking to post a daily photo on Flickr and then to write a summary post at the end, but please share your plans with me.

11 comments:

  1. sei bravissima quel vestito mi piace tanto!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it, and the fabric is so pretty! It looks beautiful with the necklace too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should also post a photo daily on here too - I'll have something to look forward to seeing every day on my google reader then! Although I am following a number of people who are doing OWOP so I'll probably spend the whole week just ogling over all the great clothes!

    Fab dress by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is so cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous color and outfit. maybe paired with a great cardigan and a nice oxford shoes will also do well with it.

    happy weekend anna!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh mamma, รจ bellissimo! Io muoio per i vestitini estivi stretti alti in vita
    braaaaaaaava
    ^_^
    Fede

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Madmen creation. I love all the alterations you made and I don't think you look childish or pregnant at all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so so cute and adorable! I love the collar and the way you have changed the grain on the screen!

    Shame on me I haven't seen Madmen, yet! Can you believe that? I have to get season 1 on dvd! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Father Gill dress! How wonderful! Nicely done...and a great classic. This has been such a fun sew along, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. i understand the feeling, but you'd never look pregnant, or like a toddler!

    ReplyDelete