Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Plaid Laelia blouse



2012 was the year that marked my reconciliation with France, or to be more accurate, with the French-speaking world.

You see, I've been studying French since I was 10, and while I've always been in love with the language and the culture, I've had the worst luck with my teachers. Were they Italian, French, Belgian or Swiss, they never had my sympathy. A couple of them were plain mean.
This, together with the century-long rivalry between Italy and France, irrationally reflected on my perception of French people. What can I say? It happens.

*If you're French, please don't be offended. I'm exaggerating a bit for the purpose of this post*


But then, last year, I became friend with Eléonore of Deer and Doe, I discovered some wonderful French blogs like Magali's and Gigette's and all my preconceptions disappeared!

The last blow came from the gorgeous pattern I used for this creation, the Laelia blouse pattern by Blousette Rose, a Belgian indie pattern company.
The pattern is available for both adults and children, but only in French, although the instructions are illustrated and not too difficult to understand, if you have some experience with sewing.

The design of this blouse is so unique! The front and back panels have a curved hem and they're overlapped under the armhole, but there's no side seam. There's also a bib detail and a gorgeous Peter Pan collar.
The style of this blouse is not what I usually go for because, being curvy, it's easy to look, you know...

...PREGNANT!
I know it's not the most flattering garment on me, but it's so cute and comfy for a lazy, casual outfit! It's more interesting than a t-shirt, but equally as comfortable.

I used some plaid viscose for my Laelia blouse and I cut the bib and back yoke on the bias to add some interest. I should have taken more time constructing it, because a curved seam on the bias using viscose is a pain in the butt!

But overall, I'm very happy about my blouse! It's been waiting to be photograph and blogged about for over three months, so I hope it was worth the wait!

27 comments:

  1. That is a very beautiful and unique shirt. I usually don't go for that silhouette either, but I think as a dress and with a belt it would be even more adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, cette blouse est tellement jolie ! Et tu la portes tellement bien !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd seen the shirt admired the lines and then decided that on my curvy figure I'd just look pregnant and there'd be no real benefit. Now I see your version and I can envision it better with a belt or maybe a built in sash for out-of-the-house and just loose for in-house -ooooh! lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I really like this... and such stunning photos, as usual! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so unique looking! I love it! And I bet it would be great to tuck in to a skirt, too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely and that coloured hem detail is really different (in a good way!). I hadn't heard of this pattern company before so off to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *curved hem*

    ReplyDelete
  8. asewingodyssey.blogspot.co.ukMarch 20, 2013 at 11:03 PM

    I love this Anna, it's so relaxed yet super cute. You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh it's Belgian??! Off I scuttle to discover my co-inhabitants in ce plat pays! Thank you for the link, and for showing us your lovely shirt. I wonder sometimes if we just get so caught up in things fitting well and flattering, we forget that actually the 'standard' around us can be so much worse than we as sewists come to expect. I don't think this is an unflattering or pregnant-looking top at all! It just looks really comfy, as well as wonderfully different from an H&M t-shirt (or whatever).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if I agree with the belt option, the overlapped sides are such a definite feature I think it would ruin it a bit. I like the choice of plaid and don't worry it doesn't make you look with child ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's gorgeous! Your choice of fabric is perfect and so is your styling. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely adore this and will also be off to check out their patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha you don't look pregnant! You look beautiful--that fabric is adorable in this pattern! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is absolutely smashing! I love the plaid and the bib feature. Comfort win! And now to check out Blousette Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great on you! And the fabric is so cute...I didn't know that pattern at all. I'll have it in mind ;) Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this looks great and I love the fabric. I've never heard of Blousette Rose before, so I'm off to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hello ! i suscribed your blog and I'm french ;)
    I'm surprised that your teachers told to you a rivalry between french and italian people ! I never heard that in France....
    It may be a rivalry between French and Italian in US !! Who is the "best" immigrant ? lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. I forgot..... I LOVE your bouse !
    You can wear it with a thin belt too !

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely second the "wear it with a belt" idea, if you don't love the silhouette. And you could go either with thin belt or a wide one. Or you could tuck it into a high-waisted full skirt, which would be adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! The open sides and bib detail is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love your version, very beautiful!!

    am just on that blouse for the moment, but somehow something went wrong with the arms, they're tooo ruffely and it looks horrid, like an 80' shoulder pad...i'm trying to diminish the fabric quantity on the arms, but not sure it's going to work...
    anyway your version is gorgeous and you definitely don't look pregnant in it at all :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. C'est drôle, je n'ai jamais entendu parler de rivalité entre Italiens et Français? Vous faites les meilleures pâtes (et glaces!!), nous faisons les meilleurs fromages (et vins!!), on est quittes, non? ;-)
    Quoi qu'il en soit, ma destination favorite pour les vacances restera toujours l'Italie (la Ligurie est tellement belle!!)!
    Ta tunique est adorable, l'empiècement et le petit col lui donnent un charme fou!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so cute! I love it! You've done well choosing a drapey fabric-- this might look a bit "maternity" if the fabric didn't have enough drape, but you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I came across Blousette Rose years ago when they first started selling kids patterns in Australia. A while back I was cleaning out my bookmarks came across them again. Asked on twitter if anyone had used any but no response. Will be good to see how you go with them-I can still only see kids patterns on their front page..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting construction! No side seams, why not? There's nothing like crafts to give you motivation to re-discover a foreign language :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like it! Cutting the bib on the bias was a great choice. The shirt looks really comfy. It is always nice to have something for casual wear besides t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Waouhhh!!!!!!
    Thanks to your article, I remembered that I had this model in my reserve.
    Your version is very very attractive, I think of making one with a
    fabric as yours for the next winter and long sleeves ;-)

    ReplyDelete